Sunday, December 12, 2010

DOF 3







DOF- Last and Post 3

In some recent feedback, it was brought to my attention that there is no fluidity in my blog and I would like you all to see what I do, “Nutshell” it for you for lack of a better term.  I am a woman in a free country, a country that is free because of the sacrifices of many selfless men and women; I can be employed equally thanks to Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964. (HeinOnline.org)  If I were in many other countries on this planet I would be persecuted for many things, one of which is being a woman. Afghanistan, Africa, China just to name a few. I am white, I am outspoken, and I believe firmly and firmly on many topics that most people don’t want to talk about sex, religion, politics & race. “1 in 3 women will be beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused in her lifetime. In some countries, this statistic represents as much as 70% of the female population.” (Careusa.org)
During the 19th century women started to vocalize their desire to vote, to participate in law making by taking an active role in government (wikipedia). In 1869 the fourteenth amendment was proposed to give black men the right to vote, but still no rights to women. Fifty one years and five amendments later women won the right to vote in the United States (wikipedia). During that same time period the camera became one of the only mechanical devices linked to women. George Eastman  had a history making advertising campaign in the late 1880’s that brought the camera into the home, since women’s primary careers were in the home at that time it is only logical that women gain interest and become amateur and professional photographers (Gover).  Lets fast forward and jump into my life and how all of what I just said ties into my life.  I want to bring your attention to Rick Doble and a term he introduced to me “Photo- Expressionism- I suggest the term “photo-expressionism “for digital photographs that are as personal and expressive as the expressionist paintings of the recent past.” (Doble).
I cherish my camera, I can photograph my favorite things, places and people. I can document moments that become memories, or events that are important in our life. I can change a lot of the aspects of my camera or even the image after I’ve taken it. I also cherish my freedom and cherish that in this country there are laws and people that are working to protect my freedom that allows me to express myself in a blog about freedom and photography and how they tie together. To take an active role in how laws are made and enforced, how your freedom is exercised and protected, to continue to ensure that the freedoms enjoyed by us are still available to our children and grandchildren we MUST vote. Voting is not a right it’s a responsibility, that should not be taken lightly. Be cautious in your choices; be sure that the person you are voting for will work on your behalf, someone who shares in your values and ethics, and someone who will speak for the people that she or he is representing. Don’t choose someone strictly on party affiliation, choose wisely and research how they have performed before they were on the grand stage of campaigning when sometimes saying the right thing at the right time to the correct media is what may get them elected, make sure that the person you are choosing is true to their beliefs and comes as close to your own as possible. If you don’t vote, you leave the choice of leadership to someone else, is that a gamble you feel you can afford? Don’t just vote in the presidential elections either, vote every time you are asked, in city elections, county elections, statewide races. Yearly, every other year or every four years it all builds to the bigger picture, it all makes a difference and it all means you are taking an active role in your freedom, and mine. Thank you to those that do vote Thank you to those that serve this country to guarantee my freedom and that of my children, thank you to those who have died in that battle. Thank you Sir John Herschel , Joseph Nicéphore Niépce and Louis Daguerre for discovering and perfecting the art form called photography. Here’s to George Eastman for making the camera accessible to the masses. (Wikipedia - History of Photography)

Works Cited

Careusa.org. 12 2010 <https://my.care.org/site/Donation2?idb=462488233&df_id=8180&8180.donation=form1&autologin=true>.
Doble, Rick. Is Digital Photography The New Expressive Visual Art? 12 2010 <http://www.rickdoble.net/xtremeself/photoexpress.htm>.
Gover, C. Jane. The positive image: women photographers in turn of the century America. Albany: SUNY Press, 1988.
HeinOnline.org. 12 2010 <http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?collection=journals&handle=hein.journals/mnlr51&div=47&id=&page=>.
wikipedia. 2010 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_rights>.
Wikipedia - History of Photography. 12 12 2010 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photography>.


1 comment:

  1. This comment is from Rick Doble here who coined the term: “photo-expressionism" (mentioned in the blog)
    My Australian mother was a photographer -- and Australian women got the vote first in the world on a national basis. I see that more women than men are on major photo sites.
    I think that women may understand the expressive side of photography best. Erika has said this very well both for women in general and for herself in particular.
    I am the author of: Experimental Digital Photography (Lark Books/Sterling Publishing, New York/London, 2010)
    This book is both expressive and technical and outlines new ways to use photography for expression.

    ReplyDelete